Saturday, August 14, 2010

An honest conversation begins...




I've read books, blogs, articles, tweets and Facebook posts. I've kept up with the bestsellers list in the Christian living section. I've visited countless churches and was even educated by Christian institutions. I've dined around the tables of fundamentalists, conservatives and liberals. For years I've listened to, gleaned from, and observed evangelical Christians from various cultures, ethnicities and denominational backgrounds. What I've discovered is that they all have one thing in common: they're spiritually disillusioned. Disillusioned from the world of pretending - hiding - performing. Exhausted by the weight of guilt and shame.


Disillusionment is subtle and is most often caused unintentionally. Principle-driven sermons, well intentioned bible studies, biblical counseling, pastoral advice, Christian radio even a simple prayer request can all unintentionally lead to spiritual disillusionment. Expressed uniquely by different people, disillusionment presents in one of two dominant ways: despair and pride.


I want to share my story - a story that I believe is our story - the story of anyone who has ever been a part of a church and sought to follow after Christ.


So, an honest conversation begins...





No comments:

Post a Comment